Campus : Southampton
Start dates: September, January.
The first two years of this degree concentrate on learning the basis of social work theory as well as looking at subjects such as law and sociology. For their final year, students can choose to specialise in adults or children and families to help focus their career path upon graduation.
An important element of the course is the approval gained from industry regulator the Health and Care Professions Council. As a result, students are eligible to register as a qualified social worker once they have graduated. The qualification is also valid for practice in Europe, Canada, Australia and the USA, widening the career opportunities for graduates wishing to travel after their degree.
The course team’s strong links with local employers, service users and carers within the industry have allowed previous students the opportunity to practice the theory they’ve learnt in work placements, enabling them to build their skills and confidence as a social worker and develop their professional network.
These established links with the industry have also allowed past students to attend regular guest lectures where they have benefitted from talks delivered by social work professionals giving valuable insight into the industry and the career opportunities available.
Here is some of the varied range of modules currently on offer:
- Developing Critical and Applied Social Work
- Readiness for Direct Practice
- Sociology, Society and Social Work 1
- Sociology, Society and Social Work 2
- Introduction to Communication
- Human Growth and Development for Social Work
- Interprofessional Working in Social Work, Social Care and Health
- Social Work Methods and Interventions
- Developing Legal Perspectives
- Developing Professional Capabilities in Practice
- Extending Professional Capability in Practice
- Research and Social Work
- Risk, Responsibility and Resolution
- Social Work with Adults, their Families and Carers
- Social Work with Children, Young People, their Families and Carers
Level 3 or equivalent qualifications are desirable. European and other International qualifications are accepted.
Offers are not solely based on academic results: Your skills, achievements and life experience are also taken into consideration. If you do not have any previous qualifications please contact us and we will be happy to assist you with your application.
This Undergraduate course qualifies for funding from the Student Finance England You would normally apply for this funding at the time of your application and this will cover the cost of your tuition fees and in addition to this you may also be eligible for maintenance loan and other grants. For more information visit Financial Support