Campus : Southampton
Start dates: September, January.
This practical, career-focused course combines the latest in evidence-based training methods with high-level industry qualifications. Clearly defined pathway options in one of three specialist areas – exercise referral, soft tissue therapy and strength and conditioning – are aimed at producing fitness professionals with the higher level skills required to positively impact peoples’ lives, whatever their fitness goals.
Gaining real-world experience is integral to the course. The students work with a member of the University’s staff for 15 weeks in their second year, putting together a personal training programme and working with them to achieve their fitness goals. This is repeated in the final year, where students work with two clients – one will have different goals to their previous client, and the other has to be recruited by the student through their own marketing initiative.
Students are encouraged to gain professional REPs qualifications alongside their degree studies. These qualifications are highly sought after by employers in the fitness industry.
Students have access to the University’s purpose-built teaching gym and use industry-standard equipment for the practical elements of their course. Physiology, biomechanics and psychology laboratories are also available for student use.
Here is some of the varied range of modules currently on offer:
- Functional Anatomy and Kinesiology
- Exercise Instruction and Coaching
- Intro to Health and Exercise Psychology
- Introduction to Physiology of Exercise
- Client Testing and Training
- Introduction to Human Nutrition
- Introduction to Research and Academic Skills for Sport, Health & Exercise Science
- Health and Exercise Psychology
- Functional Movement and Corrective Exercise
- Research Methods and Study Design
- Advanced Personal Training
- Advanced Training Applications
- Exercise Referral
- Soft Tissue Therapy
- Strength and Conditioning
- Professional Practice in Personal Training
- Innovative Training interventions
- Clinical Exercise Programming
- Advanced Soft Tissue Therapy
- Advanced Strength and Conditioning
- Research Project
- Sports Nutrition and Performance
Level 3 or equivalent qualifications are desirable. European and other International qualifications are accepted.
Offers are not solely based on academic results: Your skills, achievements and life experience are also taken into consideration. If you do not have any previous qualifications please contact us and we will be happy to assist you with your application.
This Undergraduate course qualifies for funding from the Student Finance England You would normally apply for this funding at the time of your application and this will cover the cost of your tuition fees and in addition to this you may also be eligible for maintenance loan and other grants. For more information visit Financial Support