Campus : Southampton
Start dates: September, January.
Students study relevant and applied theory – sports science and nutrition, coaching principles, skills development, sports psychology, strength and conditioning, and performance and technique analysis – building essential underpinning knowledge for a career in coaching. This is combined with practical training and professional placement opportunities, giving students the chance to put theory into practice.
Work placements are integral to the course. First year students are provided with a placement with the Saints Foundation, Southampton FC’s community-based charity. During their second year, students deliver coaching sessions at local schools, arranged by the course team. Students are also expected to find their own additional placements, with assistance from the University.
To further boost employability, students have the opportunity to gain National Governing Body (NGB) qualifications, as well as enrol on the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs) at a discounted rate.
Here is some of the varied range of modules currently on offer:
- Principles of Sport Coaching
- Exercise Instruction and Coaching
- Introduction to Sport and Exercise Science
- Functional Anatomy and Kinesiology
- Introduction to Skill Acquisition and Motor Performance
- Coaching and Volunteering in Sport
- Introduction to Research and Academic Skills in Sport Health and Exercise Science
- Applied Principles of Performance Analysis
- Work Placement
- Applied Techniques in Sport Psychology
- Coaching Children and Young Performers
- Strength and Conditioning
- Research Methods and Study Design
- High Performance Coaching
- Sport Technique Analysis
- Research Project
- Professional Practice in Sport Psychology
- Games Based Coaching
- Professional Practice of Performance Analysis
- Advanced Strength and Conditioning
Level 3 or equivalent qualifications are desirable. European and other International qualifications are accepted.
Offers are not solely based on academic results: Your skills, achievements and life experience are also taken into consideration. If you do not have any previous qualifications please contact us and we will be happy to assist you with your application.
This Undergraduate course qualifies for funding from the Student Finance England You would normally apply for this funding at the time of your application and this will cover the cost of your tuition fees and in addition to this you may also be eligible for maintenance loan and other grants. For more information visit Financial Support